Original Article – http://shawresults.com/the_little_optimist/
Greg Bertish is a big wave surfer and a South African Champion Lifesaver and Stand Up Paddle Boarder. He is an ambassador for the Children’s Hospital Trust and the National Sea Rescue Institute, and founder of the Shark Spotter Program. He has helped raise (to date) over R2 million for these charities. He has achieved all of this as a multiple heart surgery survivor and patient. He continues to promote conservation, water safety, healthy living and optimism.
In April 2016 Greg sailed an 8 foot Children’s Optimist dinghy around the Cape of Storms. He crossed False Bay, rounded Cape Point and headed for Langebaan Lagoon on the wild West Coast. His 200-kilometre journey matched the 200 days he had spent in hospital fighting life-threatening heart infections.
He raised R300,000 towards a new Intensive Care Unit at the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital. Greg hopes this journey of a REAL Little Optimist and his Children’s book about a little believer with a HUGE heart, will help teach kids that being small, sick, poor or different is OK. And prove that they too can survive and thrive. His story will inspire kids and the world to believe in themselves, get better, be better and follow their passions and dreams.
Valuable Links and References
- The Little Optimist: http://thelittleoptimist.org
- Greg Bertish Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/greg.bertish
- Spirit Foundation: http://spiritfoundation.co.za/
- The Little Optimist Launch: http://bit.ly/thelittleoptimistlaunch
- The Little Optimist Doco Trailer: http://bit.ly/littleomtimistmovie
- Iceman Wim Hof Documentary: http://www.icemanwimhof.com/vice-documentary