The Great Optimist Race (Annual Race/Event/ School & Fundraiser)
Based on my Adventure and what the Little Optimist has achieved, we are setting up a yearly Open Ocean Optimist Race for Adults: Off Cape Town or surrounds (Approx. 10 to 20 Km in Optimists in the Open Ocean – By adults, for Kids) 1 st Race is Scheduled for OCT 2018.
– Many Opi’s will be bought and sponsored (new or Used) by a Corporate or individual– After the race they will donate the Opi to the Program for Development/ Poor and sick/ recovering/recovered Kids
Further boats will be Rented/ leased for the event and profits to to NSRI, The Little Optimist Trust & partners. Sponsorship of each boat/skipper in the race, per KM , by corporate s and individuals – All profits to above Charities / Projects.
The OPTIMISTIC SAILING ACADEMY
– Boats will be donated to the TRUST & stored at Sailing Clubs and used for FREE OPI lessons and Learn To Sail Days.
- A Mobile Sailing Academy to be set up to train and help find sick and needy kids a skill and a passion. ( and to take them on Great Adventures while teaching them life skills)
These programs will be offered throughout the year to Children in HOSPITAL/ RECOVERING/ IN REMISSION and/ or who are POOR &/or in NEED. The Donated Optimist boats will do GOOD throughout the year, and will feature in all sorts of awesome initiatives , with lots of great PR. They will be made available to that sponsor each year for the Great Optimist Race.
-An annual Optimist Race in Cape Town – starting with +/-20 boats and building to 100 plus boats in the years to come. Take this concept worldwide and race around the Globe..
– I want this to inspire both Sick KIDS, and Kids and people worldwide
– I want disadvantaged and sick and recovered Kids to LEARN a craft/Trade/Skill and develop a passion for something beautiful and healthy
– We aim to store these Donated Opi’s at Sailing Clubs, and form a sailing School and Program for sick, recovering, recovered and poor Kids in a few locations around the western cape and then RSA..
– I aim to take this concept across the country and the world. By linking up with one of the biggest Class of sailing dinghy in the world.( Optimist sailors, clubs and associations around the world)
*Like we do with Paddle 4 Presents – run in Cape Town, Durban, now JHB since 2013.
Aim: Local & worldwide awareness and potentially other events.
To date we have been donated 4 Optimists, and have bought another 4.