The Covid-19 pandemic and subsequent lockdown has been an enormous blow to our country and the economy, leaving no person untouched. We at the Trust are aware of the enormous strain this has placed on your businesses and lives and we appreciate your continued support.
During this crisis The Little Optimist Team have not slowed down but just changed tack. Our wine auction, scheduled for April 22nd, has been postponed, with a tentative date for later in the year. We have had to cancel all of our school and hospital visits, and also the corporate speaking events we had confirmed. The Great Optimist Race is still on for October, but naturally we will have to wait until closer to the time to discuss sponsorship of Optimists. So, while our planned activities have been stalled, we found new and innovative ways to assist and make a difference!
We are currently involved in and have assisted with:
-Elands bay / West Coast communities – since 1 April
- Delivered over 220 large food hampers to marginalised families ( to sustain each family of 4/5 for up to 2 weeks )
- Delivered over 3 Tons of Potatoes to Families, 2 Soup Kitchens and the Primary school, school feeding program.
- Delivered 1 Ton of fresh fruit and Veg to families
- Assisted in the funding, production and delivery of over 2000 face masks
- Assisting with the School feeding Program at Engelbrecht Primary School – donations of potatoes, masks to all kids, hand sanitiser, education, advice, project assistance
- Delivered and donated 30 litres of Hand sanitiser to The local Police, schools, and soup kitchen
- Assisting to set up a sustainable CMT face mask and linen goods manufacturing program and business in Elands bay , to be owned and run by the community
- Collaboration with Waves for Change NPO to distribute school material , worksheets , and stationary to all at the school
Assisted with fund raising and promotion of a Food relief program in association with Ocean Love and Development through Sport – Food hampers to the needy
-Production and distribution of Covid 19 Educational Brochures – in 7 African languages
We have Collaborated with partners in the Netherlands and with Professor Pierre Goussard from Tygerberg Hospital to produce and distribute easy to read and understand Corona Virus Info Sheets.
The brochures are available in English, Afrikaans, Xhosa , Zulu , Venda, Seswati, Swahili and Sotho. – See Attached English version
-Workbooks – New Little optimist Workbooks created and Now offered FREE to Children on our website. Over 200 workbooks supplied to Engelbrecht primary school kids along with Free Little optimist books – all in Afrikaans.
Other projects – Our team are also working hard on our Africa Land Sailing programme, our sailing therapy grant applications for June, and creating exciting new online revenue streams with our books and some learning material.
We just wanted to say a big THANK YOU for believing in us and helping us to make a change, by inspiring and helping kids and their families, to SURVIVE and THRIVE!
Baie dankie 😊